Sunday, April 2, 2017

New and Improved Goat Pen

I have a completely irrational (mostly) fear of something attacking my goats during the night.  The chance of a coyote or mountain lion coming near is slim, but there still is a chance. 
Because of this, I have had added a front gate to the 3-sided shelter.  Previously, I just attached an old dog run 10x6 panel with a small gate to the front.  It was longer than the shelter is wide and had such a small opening.   It was very difficult to clean out the pen and shovel the muck out the small door, so I got a new idea.  :)

Since the fencing around the garden would not keep the new goats out, I tore it down and re-used two of the smaller gates for the goat shelter.

Boyd took the pictures this time around.  Little Laddie is astute at being exactly underfoot at all times!

 Twisting in the hanging anchors.

We did this project on a rare sunny Saturday the first part of March. 
 Proof that I occasionally appear in the photos posted to this blog.
 Cheesy smile and a "whatever, it still works!" attitude when it is apparent that the gates aren't the same height.

 And a bonus improvement:  a way to keep Denali from feasting on the stored hay.  These new goats are much more prone to jumping on things than the previous goats.  Denali would jump up each night and help herself to the stored hay instead of eating what I put out in the feeders.
 Goats safe and sound.  It now opens the complete width of the shelter and is so easy to clean and restock hay.  YAY!!!  Thanks for your help, husband!

Note:  Baling twine works just as well as chain link clips. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Apple Blossoms

 Kind of past their prime, but I was glad I made it out to photograph them.