Friday, June 27, 2014

So Behind

I am so behind on so many things around here. 

What follows will be a synopsis of what has happened that I can remember.  I am not even saying it is worth blogging about...

The day we hauled hay, Boyd and I both saw a squirrel running around in the orchard.  Since we were occupied with the task at hand, it was free to roam.  It must have either taken advantage of that freedom or completely lost its' mind, because later that afternoon I saw it hanging out right outside the house at the snowball bush.  Normally, I would have let it live, but I am done paying for car repairs and finding more and more tunnels dug around this farm.  So, I told Boyd and we let the dogs out.  I do feel bad in a way, but it took two dogs, a farmer,  his pistol and a good 30 - 45 minutes to even get the squirrel. 
Boyd did manage to hit it at least once, but the snowball is one big bush and that squirrel likely made his way deep into the center for safety.  With persistence from all but me, I stayed far away from the scene of the violence until it was long over, the squirrel finally met his demise.  Buddy was the lucky one to end up dealing the final blow or death shake as was the case.  That meant two squirrel dinners in less than 10 days for him.  I DO NOT know how his digestive system can handle the bones and fur, but he eats the WHOLE thing. 

So far the record is 3 squirrel sightings and 3 dead squirrels.  I haven't seen a squirrel since either.  However, I am neither stupid nor naive, I am sure there are many more living here.  Hopefully, they are smart enough to stay hidden and busy enough other places to stop hiding their stash in our vehicles.

Boyd also irrigated hay.  He had two streams running, one on each farm.  Kept him busy for a bit. 
 The photos show him replacing the fabric on the end of the tubes.  Thrilling, live action shot!

And, the biggest mystery of all...   I came home from work one day to find this track in the carport.  What kind of creature made it?    Quite the mystery!  It is still there if anyone wants to come inspect it for yourself.  All suggestions are welcome.

2 comments:

Apple Blossoms

 Kind of past their prime, but I was glad I made it out to photograph them.