Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Vern and Mary

My dad and Boyd's mom both died on March 17th.  My dad died last year and Mary passed away in 2005.  
Mary Reeder was an interesting woman.  She didn't take no for an answer and was incredibly independent.  Sometimes Boyd accuses me of being just like his mother.  I always take that as a compliment.  After all, she is the one who tried to get us married for years.  She even took me to Maddox and asked my why I wouldn't marry her son.  My reply was simply that he hadn't asked.  She bribed Boyd with cash if he would just date me, but he refused.  It wasn't until after she died that she really had any influence on him in the marriage department.  You'll have to ask him for the whole story, but he often reminds me that we had to get married to stop his mother from haunting him.  Mary was a dentist and I think the first licensed female dentist in Utah. 
Mary at dental school.

Too many stories to share about my dad.  Of course, I had to put a picture of fishing and camping.  We spent a LOT of family time in the mountains somewhere.  I remember visiting him in the hospital after he had the last heart procedure.  He wasn't complaining about his current surgery, but was wishing instead they would have fixed his casting shoulder.  It hurt and he was afraid he would have to learn to fish left-handed.  He was a great dad and I miss him.
I'm not sure how he got Sybil to dig an outhouse, but there is the proof!!  Every time I see this photo it makes me smile.   Sorry Sybil!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clouds - March 14th