Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Journey Home - Days 4&5

First off, we were gone 7 calendar days, but I counted Saturday and all day Sunday as one day.  One forever long day!  I miscounted somewhere along the line, but don't care enough to figure it out.
We left Nauvoo Thursday morning and headed to Fort Madison for breakfast because not one of us wanted to eat in Nauvoo again.  Lousy food and high prices!   Crossing the bridge at Fort Madison was great fun!  We pulled over so I could take some pictures of the sunrise over the Mississippi.  There are many of the same shot with slight variations.














The next destination was Winter Quarters, NE.  We had to cross all of Iowa to get there though and all I could remember was how slow it was crossing Iowa the first time around.   We did enjoy a thunderstorm with great lightning strikes.
At Winter Quarters we enjoyed the visitor center, cemetery and temple.
I seriously want to own oxen.












Kenny hiding from my camera. 


We managed to make it to Grand Island, NE for the night.  The next day we had a long (13 hour) drive to home.  Yeah, home.  I didn't want to leave in the first place and I am so glad to be back.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home. Now what excitement do you have planned for the REST of the summer?

    ReplyDelete

Clouds - March 14th