Monday, November 22, 2010

The Birds!

I opened the door Sunday morning only to have at least five hundred birds take off at once. They were all right at the base of the hill below the carport.  Scared me to death.  Jasmin loved it and took off chasing them in all directions.  The weird thing was that it was a combination of starlings, magpies, and doves.  I even heard a pheasant crowing in the field.  The starlings have been traveling in huge groups, they look like a black cloud.  These photos don't do justice to the numbers or the freaky sensation of hearing them fly by right above your head.  They swoop and swerve and are just amazing.  One day I will get video of it.


 Saturday we bought a fake Christmas tree.  We are actually going to decorate for Christmas around here this year.  We have such gorgeous pine trees around here and we had to pay for an artificial version. 
 Snow has hit and brought the wind with it.  Saturday night when I went to put the dogs up for the night I discovered the fence panel between the goats and the dogs was laying down.  I guess the goats were smart enough to stay on their own side.  The heavy, wet snow had weighed the fence down and the wires snapped. Of course, Boyd had to come save the day.  He even spent most of today revamping the shelter and the dogs are now covered again.  Poor things were huddled in their house for most of the day.   The next time I am home in the daylight, I will take a picture. 
Saturday morning Boyd asked me to step off the distance between some tall poles because he wants to hang yard lights.  I was so engrossed in counting that I didn't see the dog in the chicken coop until it jumped up at me.  Turned out to be a friendly German Shepherd, but I screamed loud when it rose out of the weeds.  I ended up walking it down to the area with a bunch of houses and let it go.  It ran straight to the house at the end of the cul-de-sac, so I hope it belongs there.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Life is good again:)--a #12 post. Now I hear there is a big blizzard coming--I expect more entertaining narratives and pics from that. Actually this sounds kind of corny but you really write well, Becca. And you have A LOT of knowledge about farmy sort of things. I stand back in awe and admiration:)...

    ReplyDelete

Apple Blossoms

 Kind of past their prime, but I was glad I made it out to photograph them.