Wednesday, December 18, 2019

December 17th

My morning started out at 4:45 AM when the dogs and I took a needed bathroom break.  As I let the dogs outside, we could see the lights of Boyd's tractor in the field to the west.  He had been out since 4:00 AM trying to finish the plowing.  He hoped that the frozen ground would allow him to work the field without getting stuck, but nope.  Just like he was worried about, the snow kept the field insulated and it was just a slippery mess out there. He came in not long after 5:00 AM.

This morning as I did chores, I noticed that my dogs were on high alert and seemed to be focusing on something out in the field. I couldn't see ANYTHING! It was still a bit dark and I forgot to wear my glasses. Well, I put the food in the dog dishes and the dogs started eating like usual. Like always, I leave the dogs eating and go open the goat pen. I lock the goats in to their house every night because of coyotes and mountain lions. So, I let the goats out and then went to add hay to their feeder. I heard a plane fly overhead and my golden retriever, Jasmine, started to bark. I figured she was barking at the low flying plane, but no. Instead I saw her looking out over the field to the east and it was then I saw my other dog, Laddie, running BACK from clear across the field. I didn't even realize he had run off. I knew he had to have been chasing something, so I scanned the far edge of the field and could see a large shape running east along the edge of the river. I can't say for sure, but based on the size, it had to be a coyote. It might have been a fox, but usually they are much smaller. It was still too dark to really identify it, but whatever it was I am glad my dog chased it off and didn't end up fighting with it.

 Morning sunrise








 Later in the afternoon, we tackled the limbs that hang on the power line to the old house.  Last week they rubbed the line enough to cause the neutral wire to fray and break.  We were without power in the old house and all the other outlets west of that building.  Boyd took his turn on the pallet/bale fork.  I had the pole pruners out and between us we made huge progress in clearing the limbs away from the line.  We need to hire someone who isn't afraid of heights and has the proper equipment to really get the trees trimmed back.
 I forgot to take a close up of all the limbs we cut down, but here is a far away shot.

 And, a nice sunset to end the night.

 After all that sawing and limb hauling, we are headed to Crystal Hot Springs for a nice therapeutic soak!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apple Blossoms

 Kind of past their prime, but I was glad I made it out to photograph them.