Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Preparations and Reparations

This post brought to you by Boyd.  
Note from Becca:  Spring season seems to be the time for preparing, repairing and a little bit of swearing.  Oh my!

While operating the tractor, there began to be a small tick which turned out to be an expensive nightmare ordeal.
Thinking that the tick might have been a loose lifter, the valves were adjusted.  While not visible in this picture...  (Sorry, I didn't keep up and he wouldn't repeat.)
Valve train DT 466
Turbo Charger with plastic bags to prevent water infiltration.

Muffler, rotted out.  Cost $570

Air filter housing with broken mounting pad. Replacement cost $350.
Fixed for a few $$$, but a few hours of time to get it right.  The new bracket.
Hose - needed three inches.  Had to buy a foot for $23.

Air filter reinstalled.
Valve cover that would not fit.  Replacement price $850.  Finally got it to fit after much swearing and losing of faith.
After having finished one tractor, another tractor needed some front end work.
It needed the ball joints replaced.
The best way I could figure to take it out was to cut the ball joint in half with a hack saw.
I welded the nut to the end of the shaft so I could put an impact wrench on it and get it off.  The welder was hauled out of the basement in the backhoe so I could weld the nut on the steering cylinder.
Necessary items for weak husband who could not loosen the nuts without great leverage.
Welding the nut on.

Nut welded on the joint.
Wishing like hell my father had been an accountant instead of a farmer.
Success!  The joint had been removed.

Note:  I apparently didn't take any photos of the new intake manifold and all the bolts he had to take out and all the gaskets.  :)  I need to work on my photojournalism skills.    I am sure Boyd will have plenty more repairs I can document.  Oh yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apple Blossoms

 Kind of past their prime, but I was glad I made it out to photograph them.