Thursday, April 17, 2014

Spinal Fusion

Next Monday, I will be having back surgery and I can't wait.  Really, I can't.  I am so exhausted from walking crooked and not sleeping because of the pain.  The pain is always worse at night.  I am up at least three times for up to an hour and go through a ritual to relieve the pain that includes ice and bouncing on an exercise ball and then doing a few yoga stretches.

You can see the curve in my spine. I was supposed to be standing up as straight as possible for this shot.  According to the surgeon, L5 has nothing left on the right side and that is causing a herniation and stenosis among other things.  The plan is to fuse L-4 to L-5 and then L-5 to S-1.  He may or may not have to use bone from my pelvis.  Doesn't sound fun, but something has to change.

Besides my normal hip jutting out and the limp on the right side, I have recently added a forward lean to the whole messed up walk.  Yeah, it's fun!
 
Here are a couple of videos of me walking.






Why would I post these embarrassing videos and images?  So, that when I wake up from surgery, I can remember why I am going through all the pain.
Here's hoping the surgery works and I can stand upright again.  Here's hoping I can tie my own shoe and put on my own sock without screaming in pain.  Here's hoping I can sleep through the night without horrible pain all down my leg.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Had no idea you were going through so much. I just knew you had back pain. Best of luck. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Clouds - March 14th