Sunday, July 11, 2010

Squirrel Chasin'

As previously mentioned, we have an abundance of squirrels around here.  The dogs love to chase them, but rarely catch them.  These squirrels have cost us money, they are so destructive.  They like to eat pears and walnuts in the fan housing of the new truck.  One day, Boyd left the hood open hoping to make a squirrel leave and Buddy, being the helpful dog he is, jumped onto the engine and started biting his way down to the squirrel.  He chewed through some important wires and got himself into some big trouble.  The mechanics at the Ford dealership found the story entertaining.  Jasmine got herself stuck in the baler trying to get to a squirrel.  She must have went in through the bale chute, but got wedged tightly in the part where the spring hooks are.  It looked painful.  I couldn't find her for more than 30 minutes, but I would hear an occasional whimper.  I finally got Buddy to help and he ran straight to her.  My husband, his shovel and two dogs couldn't catch the squirrel living in the corn chopper.  The fancy traps my husband bought don't always deliver either.  Although, I must add, that Jasmine managed to open the trap which actually did get a squirrel and take care of it herself.  Smart dog!   This morning the dogs were hot on the trail of the squirrel which has been living in the chicken coop.  Buddy was so intense he moved a sheet of plywood 4ft X 4ft with his TEETH!  He drug it at least 3 to 4 feet. 
The squirrel was in this long piece of metal tubing.  It is really heavy!  I have to regrettably admit that I assisted in the killing of an animal today.  You all know that is against my normal animal lover mentality, but I am tired of paying for squirrels!  Boyd lifted the tube and I poured in water.  It finally ran out and for once in her life, Jasmine was paying attention with her eyes and she caught it.  Normally, the dogs have their noses going and don't bother to LOOK!  
A video of the hunt.  Sorry for the shaking, I can't walk and film at the same time.
If you listen carefully, you will hear the chirping of the squirrel.  Buddy got another one last week and Jasmine killed what I think was a weasel.  These adorable dogs seem to have a vicious side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clouds - March 14th