Thursday, February 18, 2010

Big Foot

Boyd walked the dogs without me the other day and came across some mighty big tracks in the snow.  Whatever it was had come down the hill from the pasture, gone around the pond and headed out to the river.  I arrived home just as they returned from the walk.  He knows how freaked out I am about mountain lions, so he tells me about the tracks.  I insist we investigate and I took along my point and shoot camera. 
 
  
  
You can see the big one towards the top of this photo and compare it to the other tracks which belong to my dogs.  I had to look up mountain lion tracks on the internet.  These aren't cat tracks and we guess it must have been the malamute that lives down the road.   When I lived in Willard, we always had cougar sightings.  I saw one driving home one evening, my friends had one on their front porch, the neighbor had one in his barn on the same night I had a sheep carcass drying in my apple tree (science lesson).  I used to lock my goats in their pen at night just so I could sleep.   Since I have moved here, I haven't worried as much.  However, one night I couldn't sleep for fear of a mountain lion getting the dogs and goats.  So, I went out at 2:30 a.m., moved the dogs to the chicken coop and fenced my goats in their shelter.  It wasn't easy to do in the dark let me tell you.  Boyd didn't even know I was gone.  What does that say about our relationship?

1 comment:

  1. This post is hilarious! It sounds like mine and Paul's relationship....I was gone (as you well know....thanks for the parking lot!) all weekend and Paul never knew!

    ReplyDelete

Apple Blossoms

 Kind of past their prime, but I was glad I made it out to photograph them.