Friday, October 12, 2012

Life Lately

Note:  All photos taken with my iPhone

Life has been good lately.


We have the corn all cut, the safflower sold and the hay was baled and sold months ago.  That means our harvest is finished for the year and it is only the middle of October.  It was 79 degrees yesterday, even though my tomatoes and cucumbers froze last week.  And, we have had ice on the water bowls for days in a row.


We still have plenty of mosquitoes, gnats, spiders and box elder bugs.
We even had a stray German Shepherd that tangled with Buddy.     The same dog broke in to Jen's house twice.  I blame it all on the fact that hunting season is in full swing.    Buddy was on his long goat leash tied to a tractor, the goats were eating under the trees, and Jasmin was squirrel hunting in the corn pit.   I had just gone down the hill to get my tractor and was heading back up when I saw the dog and Buddy just starting to fight.  Both dogs we on hind legs and snarling and gnashing.  I sped up the tractor and started yelling.  I don't know if that scared the dog or Buddy was just too much, but it ran off towards our house.  Buddy was fine, just covered in dog spit.  The dog ended up running off past the apricot trees and didn't seem a bit interested in the goats, good thing!  



The dog hasn't been our only trespasser.  Jen had to scare some stupid hunters that killed a crow on our farm.   They saw the poor bird flapping and the shots hitting around it, but didn't see the hunters.  Since they were shooting towards where Jen, Jess and Laura were walking, she started shouting at them.  I can imagine that they didn't even see them there.  The sun was setting at the time and it is really hard to see then.  I was hoping she had scared them good, but the same shots came from the same direction the next night.   Boyd hopped on the 4-wheeler and made a loop, but didn't see anyone on our side of the river.  There was a truck across the river that left as he drove past.    Have I mentioned I HATE hunting season!!!!


And, one more strange moment.  Yesterday morning early, as I entered the downstairs bathroom, I saw a big lump outside the window on the edge of the lawn.  I could just make out the shape in the moonlight.   I knew that it didn't belong, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was.  I turned on the bathroom light to see if it would show me more.  It didn't light up past the glass, but it did wake up what ever was sleeping.  Too my surprise, it was two racoons.  One was significantly larger than the other.  They browsed around for food, probably walnuts and then were off.

Can you see this cool bird on the edge of my laptop?   Pretty neat, huh?
 It looks like a little sticker, doesn't it?  

Yea, well, it is really a melted dollup of chocolate.  Blame my husband, he is the one who keeps me stocked in chocolate for his own protection.  Totally surprised me when I opened my computer and saw that amazing chocolate miracle bird.

 Jasmine and I took another ride in the canoe.   Ironically enough, Haylee joined us the second time.  I was already in the canoe when Molli called to borrow something and had Haylee with her. Lucky girl!  I guess it is only fair since she is the reason the canoe was down there in the first place.


 This was my view from front and back one day while stuck in a traffic jam near Farmington Station.
So annoying!!

 And, more stuff I found on the phone.  This was an Instagram moment I was part of in C-Forum.



 This little activity was invented by Jen.  She said to make sure to give her credit:)
See how many different tracks you can see in this photo of our dirt road.   Right now, in this unbelievable drought, it is a DUSTY road.   It is amazing to walk along the road and see ALL the different tracks that are found on the way.   All kinds of things use our road.
 And, one more gorgeous sunset.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Clouds - March 14th